Charting a path towards sustainable mining
The World Mining Congress, including over 1,200 mining industry leaders and experts, will meet at Montreal from August 11-14 to discuss advances in mining engineering and global efforts towards sustainable mining.
The host, Canada, many of whose mining companies and practices have come under fire recently both at home and abroad, will welcome "400 renowned mining researchers, academics and scientists from around the globe" to present peer-reviewed papers on sustainable mining and mining engineering advances over the course of three days.
Seven high-profile mining industry leaders will give keynote addresses, looking to provide hope and vision for an industry caught in a devastating slowdown:
- Rinaldo César Mancin, Ibram Board of Directors, Brazil and South America
- Jacynthe Côté, Chief Executive Officer of Rio Tinto Alcan and Honorary Chairperson of WMC
- Mark Cutifani, Chief Executive Officer, Anglo American
- Shri S.K. Srivastava, Secretary, Ministry of Coal, Government of India
- Steve Wood, Vice-President, Arcelor Mittal, Iron Ore Americas
- Wang Xianzheng, President of the China National Coal Association
- Anatoly Borisovich Yanovsky, Deputy Minister of Energy of the Russian Federation