Chile once again freezes Goldcorp's El Morro project

Just one month after reclaiming its environmental permit, Goldcorp's $3.9 billion El Morro gold and copper mine is being challenged once again.

Chile's Supreme Court has preventively frozen the project after accepting an appeal from a local indigenous group, Reuters reports. 

The court initially halted the project in 2012, telling Goldcorp it needed to fully consult with the local indigenous community.

Although the court ruled in October that the company had sufficiently consulted with the Diaguita community, a new appeal from the indigenous group has once again stalled El Morro.

Diaguita, which announced its intentions to file the suit earlier this month, says the consultation was not properly conducted and that the mine could pollute a local river.

Goldcorp holds a 70% stake in El Morro. The other 30% is owned by New Gold. Due to begin operations in 2017, the mine has proven and probable reserves totaling 6.7 million ounces of gold and 4.9 billion pounds of copper.