Five Chinese miners die from poison gas in Hunan
Five miners are dead in the Chinese province of Hunan after inhaling poison gas in an underground pyrite mine, local authorities report.
At roughly 9:30 a.m. on Monday, a deputy mine manager and two workers went down the shaft to inspect the ventilation facilities. The men began to choke but only one survived, escaping out of the shaft.
Three other miners also died attempting to save the lives of the two men stuck in the shaft.
The mine, owned by Yiyang Shengyuan Mining Co., was not yet in operating at the time of the accident. It had received a permit to resume production this month after being suspended for rectification work in March.