About a year after two treasure hunters claimed to have found a Nazi train laden with gold and gems in the Polish city of Walbrzych, a team of 35 researchers that includes Piotr Koper and Andreas Richter will resume digging for it this week.
Despite scepticism and even scientific studies declaring that there was no evidence of such train, the two men insists on their alleged finding and say they should have definite answers in no more than a week.
They also say they’d like to remind everyone that while researchers concluded last year there was no signs of any wagons, they did not rule out the existence of a tunnel.
Pole Piotr Koper, one of the treasure hunters, told local TVP public news channel they would sweep the area with geo-radar on Monday before diggers move in on Tuesday, news agency Agence France-Presse reports.
The team consists of volunteers rather than Polish officials, who refrained from participating in the search efforts, as they did last year.
According to tales that have circulated since the end of World War II, the Nazis hid a train containing up to 300 tons of gold, as well as diamonds and firearms.
A number of trains are believed to have been used by the Nazis in the 1940s to transport goods stolen from people in Eastern Europe back to Berlin. While some might have made it to the German capital, others are said to have been left behind by Soviet troops, as they advanced in 1945.
Koper and Richter’s privately funded effort will be streamed live online and could be over within two days.