Silver Wheaton Corporation Hits our Target of $0.20 per share
This is what we wrote on November 6th, 2010:
Near term, look for the next set of results from the Silver Wheaton Corporation (SLW) which is due to release its third-quarter figures after the market close on Monday, 08 November, 2010. Our expectation is for earnings to be in the order of $0.20 per share.
So, here we go with a financial summary:
Third Quarter Highlights
- Net earnings more than doubled to a record US$69.2 million (US$0.20 per share), compared with US$33.6 million (US$0.11 per share) in 2009.
- Operating cash flows increased 55% to US$70.5 million (US$0.20 per share)(1), compared with US$45.4 million (US$0.14 per share)(1) in 2009.
- Record attributable silver equivalent production of 5.9 million ounces (5.5 million ounces of silver and 7,000 ounces of gold), representing an increase of 41% over the comparable period in 2009.
- Silver equivalent sales of 4.7 million ounces (4.3 million ounces of silver and 7,100 ounces of gold), lagging production for the quarter due primarily to the build-up of concentrate inventory as the Penasquito mine ramps up production, as well as timing of concentrate shipments from the Yauliyacu and Campo Morado mines.
- As at September 30, 2010, approximately 2.2 million payable silver equivalent ounces attributable to the Company have been produced at the various mines and will be recognized in future sales as they are delivered to the Company under the terms of their contracts.
- Total cash costs(1) of US$4.09 per silver equivalent ounce, compared with US$4.08 per ounce in 2009.
- Cash operating margin(1) increased 42% compared to 2009, to a record US$15.72 per silver equivalent ounce, while average silver prices over the same period increased by 29%.
- Goldcorp Inc. announced that its world-class gold-silver-lead-zinc
- Penasquito mine achieved commercial production during the quarter with peak throughput rates as high as 105,000 tonnes per day. The ramp up to full production capacity of 130,000 tonnes per day is anticipated by early 2011. Annual production attributable to Silver Wheaton from the mine is expected to average approximately 7 million ounces of silver over the estimated 22 year mine life.
- Barrick Gold Corp.'s world-class gold-silver Pascua-Lama project remains on track to enter production in the first quarter of 2013, with detailed engineering and procurement nearing completion and earthworks underway. Once in production, Pascua-Lama is forecast to be one of the largest and lowest cost gold mines in the world with an expected mine life in excess of 25 years. In its first five years of operation, Silver Wheaton's attributable silver production is expected to average 9 million ounces annually.
- Goldcorp completed the sale of the San Dimas mine to Primero Mining Corp. In conjunction with the sale, Silver Wheaton amended its silver purchase agreement relating to the mine. The term of the silver purchase agreement, which was set to expire in 2029, has been extended to life of mine. During the first four years following closing of the transaction, Primero will deliver to Silver Wheaton a per annum amount equal to the first 3.5 million ounces of payable silver produced at San Dimas and 50% of any excess, plus Silver Wheaton will receive an additional 1.5 million ounces of silver per annum to be delivered by Goldcorp. Beginning in the fifth year after closing, Primero will deliver to the Company a per annum amount equal to the first 6 million ounces of payable silver produced at San Dimas and 50% of any excess. Goldcorp will continue to guarantee the delivery by Primero of all silver produced and owing to the Company until 2029, and a payment of US$0.50 per ounce for any shortfall below 215 million cumulative silver ounces delivered to Silver Wheaton by the end of 2031. Primero has provided Silver Wheaton with a right of first refusal on any metal stream or similar transaction it enters into.
We would also draw your attention to these comments by Peter Barnes, Chief Executive Officer of Silver Wheaton:
"We remain on track to meet production guidance of 23.5 million silver equivalent ounces in 2010, growing to approximately 40 million ounces by 2013. In an environment of continued economic uncertainty, investment demand for silver remains very strong, and silver prices approached 30 year highs in the quarter. This resulted in record cash operating margins of US$15.72 per ounce, generating strong free cash flows to fund future growth".
Well, they have met our expectations and the future looks bright, but thats just our very humble opinion.
The old adage of buy the rumour and sell the news may well kick in tomorrow and we could see a bit of a pull back, which could well represent a buying opportunity for us, but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.
Silver Wheaton Corporation trades on the New York Stock Exchange and the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol of SLW.
To answer some of the emails that you have sent us we are pleased to tell you that over in www.skoptionstrading.com we currently have 13 gold and silver related open positions, up between 66% – 131% with an average gain of 86% on each of these trades, which were all opened in the last 18 days. Those who joined us three weeks ago are doing very well indeed.
Please dont forget to take a look at our options trading service, www.skoptionstrading.com where our total of closed trades to 38, with 36 winners. This means that a subscriber who had invested $1000 in each of our 38 trades would have banked profits of $15,636.00. We have just posted a set of charts demonstrating the importance of timing in any trade on gold-prices, please click here if you are interested.
So, the question is: Are you going to make the decision to join us today?
Stay on your toes and have a good one.
Got a comment then please add it to this article, all opinions are welcome and very much appreciated by both our readership and the team here.
To stay updated on our market commentary, which gold stocks we are buying and why, please subscribe to The Gold Prices Newsletter, completely FREE of charge. Simply click here and enter your email address. (Winners of the GoldDrivers Stock Picking Competition 2007)
For those readers who are also interested in the silver bull market that is currently unfolding, you may want to subscribe to our Free Silver Prices Newsletter.
For those readers who are also interested in the nuclear power sector you may want to subscribe to our Free Uranium Stocks Newsletter, just click here.
Gold Prices makes no guarantee or warranty on the accuracy or completeness of the data provided on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended or shall be deemed to be investment advice, implied or otherwise. This website represents our views and nothing more than that. Always consult your registered advisor to assist you with your investments. We accept no liability for any loss arising from the use of the data contained on this website. We may or may not hold a position in these securities at any given time and reserve the right to buy and sell as we think fit.