7 Key rules contrarian investors should adhere too
Given a sufficient number of people and an adequate amount of time you can create insurmountable opposition to the most inconsequential idea.
Contrarian investing is a dynamic field and not a static one. The assumption that it’s a static field is held by the new breed of fashion contrarians, whose only donation to this field has been to glamorize it and distort the correct notion of being a contrarian investor. These fashion contrarians are no different from those with the mass mindset; they only pretend to do things differently, but the moment fear or uncertainty is in the air, they flee for the exits like bandits being chased by the hounds of hell. A true contrarian in most cases understands the basic rules of mass psychology. If you are not familiar with these rules, you are doing yourself a disservice and should catch up on them ASAP.
At the Tactical Investor, while we embrace the concept of contrarian investing our true focus is on the joining the key rules of contrarian investing with the authoritative concept of mass psychology. We believe this combination creates one of the most robust trading systems out there; psychology is the key driving force behind almost every human action, so understanding should be one of the main goals of every investor.
We are going to provide a list of rules that we believe are the most important in terms of contrarian investing. It will provide both the novice and seasoned trader with ideas that should help improve your trading skills if implemented properly. Discipline and patience are the keys to successful investing; nothing comes easily, for if it did, everyone would be able to do it and then it would cease to be profitable, as the masses never win in the long run.
These contrarian guidelines by no means encompass all the rules associated with the concept of contrarian investing. However, they do provide you with a firm foundation on which to build your investment career.
1) Trendy media (magazines, news outlets, newspapers, TV stations, etc) should be treated in the same light as toilet paper; it has some use, but its function is to perform a distasteful action. Use these outlets to determine what the masses are frothing about and what you should avoid or start getting out off or into. Remember the emotions should be at boiling point. You do not oppose the masses just because they started to jump on the bandwagon; its only when the bandwagon is overloaded and about to buckle under the load its carrying that you should look for an exit and vice versa.
2) Technical analysis plays a key part when it comes to investing, regardless of whether you choose to be a contrarian investor or not. It is imperative that you take time to understand the basic tenets of this very important field. Do your best not to follow or focus only on the most popularly used Technical analysis indicators. You will be amazed at how effective some of the lesser known indicators are once you get to understand how they function and operate.
3) Spend time understanding the markets you are going to target or the sectors of the stock market you intend to play. We have put up an extensive list of resources, all of which are free here. Free Trading Resources
4) Formulate a sound plan. Don’t be an imbecile and sit there wishing and hoping to catch a home run. Those that adopt such notions, always catch a falling dagger, a process that is fraught with pain and misery. The plan should include profit targets on each and every trade, and, an exit plan, in case the trade does not work out.
5) Do not foolishly jump into Options until you grasp the key concepts of buying and selling stocks. In other words, understand when to buy and when to sell……… Make some money and then attempt your hand at options.
6) Learn to relax; if you don’t relax it’s really hard to win. Disease is a body not at ease, so if you are not at ease, you will most certainly perform dismally in the markets.
7) The law of balancing comes into play here. When you win a significant amount of money, help one person in your life time and your rewards will be 100 fold.
Other interesting points contrarian investors should adhere too
A real contrarian only jumps into the investment because the asset is trading at mouth-watering levels, and blood is flowing freely in the streets……….. Buy when the crowd is paralyzed with dread and panic and bail out when the crowd is buying hand over fist.
When you are excessively secure or feeling elated; fly for the exits.
Never get a hot head and think you know it all. Even the best can be taken out. Make sure you have stops in place; the markets are currently very volatile.
Contrarian investing is really about emotions. You are overcoming your emotions and playing/preying on the emotions (fear or greed) of the crowd by taking an opposing position.
When you take a position and people look at you with contempt or astonishment, you know you are doing the right thing…… When they pat you on the back or start giving you high five’s; the end is in sight and it’s time to flee for the exits.. Buy low. Sell high.
Everybody sets out to do something, and everybody does something, but no one does what he sets out to do.