AngloGold says Ghana troops need to protect Obuasi after attack

AngloGold Ashanti Ltd. asked Ghana to redeploy troops at its Obuasi mine after an employee died in an attack by hundreds of illegal miners on the facility last week.

The military withdrew from Obuasi on Feb. 2 following several attacks at the site on Jan. 30 and Jan. 31, the Johannesburg-based company said in an e-mailed statement on Tuesday. Days later, hundreds of illegal miners stormed the mine about 260 kilometers (161 miles) northwest of the capital, Accra, killing a staff member.

“The onus for ensuring safety and security of individuals and property in any country, and therefore restoring safety and security to the site, lies with the authorities,” the company said.

AngloGold fired workers and put the mine on limited operations last year as costs soared and the price of bullion fell. The company needs to boost investment to gain access to the mine’s estimated 5.3 million ounces of gold deposits. Talks with Randgold Resources Ltd. to develop the site together fell apart in December.

Continue reading at Bloomberg Business