SME sponsors young mining professionals for Emerging Leaders Alliance
The Society for Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration Inc. (SME) is pleased to announce the sponsorship of eight members to attend the 9th annual Emerging Leaders Alliance (ELA) conference, November 9-12, 2016, in Falls Church, VA. The ELA is a partnership among engineering and science-based organizations that provides an interdisciplinary forum for high quality leadership training for young professionals, and advances the development of highly skilled leaders.
Representing SME in the Class of 2016 are:
- Manuel Montenegro, Mine Planning Graduate, MMG – Las Banbas, Lima, Peru
- Vasu Grande, Mining Engineer, NIOSH, Pittsburgh, PA
- Luis Felipe Velasquez, Technical Support Engineer, Ferreyros S.A., Lima, Peru
- Axel Gallegos Gutierrez, Mine Planning Engineer, Minera Yanaquihua S.A.C., Lima, Peru
- Joe Waite, Project Engineer, Lehigh Hanson, Inc., Irving, TX
- Jorge Loy Benitez, Support Engineer, SOMILOR S.A., Guayaquil, Guayas, Ecuador
- Mohammad Rezaee, Postdoctoral Research Associate, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
- Marion King, Mine Engineer, Imerys, Lompoc, CA
“The leadership topics presented, combined with the thoughtful speakers and problem solving focus workshops, created an engaging and re-energized environment where attendees shared personal experiences,” said Rosa Rojas Espinoza, a graduate of the Class of 2015. “I recommend ELA as a great opportunity to continue advancing your leadership skills, to network with fellow engineering societies that are facing similar leadership opportunities and challenges, and to bring back the training concepts to our colleagues, friends and industry in general.”
During the three-day conference, attendees will undergo intensive training courses such as: Making the Transition from Technical to Management; Building Highly Productive Relationships That Matter; Performance Management; and Emotional Intelligence. The ELA has been supported by the United Engineering Foundation and organized by nine partner societies. For more information about the Alliance, visit http://emergingleadersalliance.org/.
SME is a professional society (nonprofit 501(c)(3) corporation) whose more than 15,000 members represent all professions serving the mining, minerals and underground construction industries in more than 100 countries. SME members include engineers, geologists, metallurgists, educators, students and researchers. SME advances the worldwide minerals community through information exchange and professional development.