BHP Billiton CEO speaks at Miami conference
BHP Billiton’s (ASX, NYSE:BHP) CEO Andrew Mackenzie spoke Tuesday about the company’s production and efficiency model at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch Metals, Mining & Steel Conference in Miami.
The Anglo-Australian mining giant, said Mackenzie, embedded $4.9 billion of “sustainable productivity gains which will increase to $5.5 billion by the end of this financial year.”
“By doing what we said we would do in the first half of the year, we increased free cash flow by $7.8 billion and underlying return on capital to 22%,” he added.
Mackenzie also said the company completed $6.5 billion of divestments in the last two years.
The company plans to exit West Africa and has been trying to sell its 41.3% stake in Mount Nimba in Guinea since July 2012.
ArcelorMittal (NYSE:MT), the world’s No.1 steelmaker, is close to becoming the buyer for BHP Billiton’s stake in a major Guinean iron-ore deposit.
The company reduced capital expenditure by 25%, added Mackenzie, and spending will decline again in the 2015 financial year.
This contrasts with its rival Rio Tinto’s (ASX, LON, NYSE:RIO) statement last week as the multinational mining giant may be looking “to stop focusing on cost cuts to make room for growth alternatives.”
More News
China sets new mining controls, to fast-track strategic reserve buildout
May 20, 2026 | 08:17 am
Sherritt in talks to hand control of Cuba mining business to ex-Trump adviser
May 20, 2026 | 07:06 am
{{ commodity.name }}
{{ post.title }}
{{ post.date }}
Comments