Barrick says no Ebola cases at Congo’s Kibali mine but precautions under way
Barrick Mining has stepped up Ebola precautions at its Kibali gold mine in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, launching worker screening and tracking measures after a nearby outbreak, a spokesperson said in an emailed response to Reuters on Tuesday.
No workers had been infected, but the company was rolling out preventive measures in response to the outbreak, a Barrick spokesperson said. The disease has killed 131 people, with health officials warning the toll could rise further.
Kibali, one of Africa’s biggest gold mines, is jointly owned by Barrick and AngloGold Ashanti, which each hold 45%, with Congolese state miner SOKIMO owning 10%. Barrick operates the mine.
(By Portia Crowe and Maxwell Akalaare Adombila; Editing by Veronica Brown and David Goodman)
More News
{{ commodity.name }}
{{ post.title }}
{{ post.date }}
Comments