Brazil court rejects requests to block $15.7 billion from Vale, BHP
A Brazilian federal court rejected a request made by the country’s solicitor general’s office asking that miners Vale, BHP and their joint venture Samarco pay 79.6 billion reais ($15.64 billion) for the 2015 collapse of a tailings dam.
The request had been filed under a civil lawsuit in which the firm had already been ordered to pay the amount in January.
In his decision, a substitute federal judge of a court in Minas Gerais state said the issue had already been resolved in the previous ruling, which said the execution would happen after the end of litigation.
($1 = 5.0884 reais)
(By Marta Nogueira and Peter Frontini)
More News
Chile’s economy posts sharpest contraction since late 2022 on mining decline
On an annual basis, gross domestic product declined 0.5% in 2025, central bank data showed.
May 18, 2026 | 10:42 am
{{ commodity.name }}
{{ post.title }}
{{ post.date }}
Comments