Delivering a step change in productivity and on bench safety with the next generation Bulkmaster™ 7 explosives delivery system
Melbourne, Australia: Orica (ASX: ORI) – The world’s largest manufacturer of commercial explosives and innovative blasting systems, today announced the release of the new Bulkmaster 7 Mobile Manufacturing Unit (MMU™).
Designed for use in the Open Cut mining sector, the Bulkmaster 7 is the latest evolution of Orica’s market-leading delivery system technology, delivering a leap in productivity and safety on bench, and another significant step towards automating drill and blast operations in the future.
Orica Group Executive and President, Australia Pacific & Asia, Darryl Cuzzubbo said: “The Bulkmaster 7’s significantly increased payload, loadout rates and bin flexibility is fundamental to improving our customers productivity, offering a clear competitive advantage for our customers, and in turn for us.
“We are continually advancing our delivery systems in both underground and surface applications, and believe delivery systems form a fundamental building block to providing a superior service to our customers.”
The first Bulkmaster 7 unit commenced operation this month at the Fortescue Metals Group (Fortescue) Solomon operations, located in the resource rich Pilbara region of Western Australia. By fully integrating the Bulkmaster 7 units, combined with advanced operational services, Orica expects to reduce the number of MMU asset requirements by 30%, delivering explosives safely and efficiently, while reducing the total cost of operation for the mine.
Fortescue Chief Executive Officer, Elizabeth Gaines stated: “Fortescue has a proud history of embracing leading edge technologies and new ideas. We are pleased to be working with Orica on the roll-out of this new technology at our Pilbara operations as part of our constant drive in continuing our productivity and efficiency improvements.”
The significant performance improvements have been achieved through a series of technical innovations in the new generation delivery system, including:
• A proprietary bin shape to optimise Ammonium Nitrate flowability, minimise weight, evenly distribute stresses and lower the centre of gravity. Designed to significantly improve reliability, stability, safety, and increase total bulk explosives product holding capacity of up to 20.9t of Fortan™ and 22.5t of Fortis™.
• Specially designed augers and significantly increased power capacity to improve delivery rates and allow for new material metering methods. Allowing for accurate Fortan and Fortis delivery rates of 1100kg/min and 550kg/min respectively.
• State of the art integrated hydraulic, sensor and control system technology. Optimising usability and formulation quality at high speeds.
Orica Senior Manager, Bulkmaster 7 Integrated Project Team, Nick Harrison discussed the advancements made in the new unit, saying: “By combining our global field expertise and MMU design experience, we’ve been able to test the boundaries of traditional delivery system construction.
“We have dramatically improved the carrying capacity, accuracy, delivery speeds and variances in material properties, with greater stability and a more ergonomic design. It sets the new global standard in delivery system productivity and safety.”
The Bulkmaster 7 also fully integrates with LOADPlus™, a BlastIQ™ enabled smart control system technology, to deliver products transparently and accurately in accordance with site requirements. The BlastIQ System delivers a range of technology solutions to improve productivity, save time and reduce the overall cost of drill and blast operations.
As the mining industry moves ever closer to automating the entire mining value chain, the release of the new Bulkmaster 7 signifies yet another successful milestone in Orica’s overall technology vision. This vision includes WebGen™, the world’s first truly wireless initiating system, the BlastIQ System and continually advancing Orica’s bulk product range and delivery methods to revolutionise drill and blast operations of the future.
The Bulkmaster 7 will be progressively rolled out in Australia throughout 2018 and 2019, providing a competitive advantage to those adopting the new technology.
Bulkmaster™ 7 Features
The Bulkmaster 7 minimises the number of assets, people and time it takes to load a blast, features include:
• Largest average capacity, when compared to alternative technologies.
• Fastest delivery rates for both top and hose loading, of existing delivery systems.
• A new proprietary bin design, enabling safe and rapid on-site product conversion, so customers can select the best product for the task without impacting operational efficiency.
• Compatibility with Orica’s LOADPlus™ smart delivery technology, providing an intuitive and accurate control system, allowing the operator to safely focus on their operating environment.
• Safer, more ergonomic design including visor operation, multi-camera hose and auger alignment, fully secured working at heights and 360-degree spotlight environment.
• Unparalleled manoeuvrability with increased payload.
• Precision accuracy with advanced mobile hydraulics and automated feedback control.
• Capable of delivering the complete range of Orica’s surface bulk products.
• Fully compliant with relevant mining, explosive and road transport standards and regulations.
For more information and to explore the Bulkmaster™7, please visit orica.com/bulkmaster7