Ontario to Host Mining Innovation Summit
Ontario is working to create jobs, boost growth in the mining sector and support economic development in the North by bringing together experts in mining, research and innovation at the Mining Innovation Summit.
Michael Gravelle, Minister of Northern Development and Mines, will join experts from across North America to discuss ways to support innovation in Ontario’s mining and mineral development sector, including:
- Building a strong innovation ecosystem through adoptiong new technology
- Fostering leading-edge research to guide the sector into the future
- New resources to support a low-carbon economy and sustainability in the industry
- Supporting Indigenous communities through social innovation
- Identifying opportunities for increased commercialization in the industry
The Mining Innovation Summit will be held in Sudbury on November 1, 2016.
Ontario’s mining industry is part of the province’s knowledge economy. Supporting a positive environment for mining innovation is part of our plan to create jobs, grow our economy and help people in their everyday lives.
“The Mining Innovation Summit is one example of how Ontario is supporting a positive environment for mining innovation that is driving investment, growth and discovery in the mineral sector. By supporting development and commercialization of new technologies in the mining industry, our government is contributing to future prosperity in Ontario.”
— Michael Gravelle, Minister of Northern Development and Mines
“Our government recognizes that making strategic investments in Ontario’s mining sector is key to driving economic growth, creating high-quality jobs and ensuring Ontario remains a global leader in mining innovation. That is why the Mining Innovation Summit will provide the necessary platform to identify new research, commercialization and innovation opportunities for collaboration among Ontario’s most innovative companies and post-secondary institutions, with support from all levels of government.”
— Reza Moridi, Minister of Research, Innovation and Science
“The mining sector remains a driving force in the Northern Economy. As MPP for Sudbury, I’m delighted to welcome leaders to our community to discuss innovation and moving forward with important projects. By investing in development and research, our government is ensuring that we continue to offer new opportunities for growth in the region.”
— Glenn Thibeault, MPP for Sudbury
- The Mining Innovation Summit will bring together representatives of industry, academia, Indigenous communities, thought leaders, entrepreneurs, researchers and government from across North America.
- Sudbury is home to nine research institutes focused on mining innovation.
- The value of Ontario’s mineral production reached $10.8 billion in 2015.
- Ontario invests $79 million annually in mining R&D and more than $1 billion annually in construction and equipment for mines.
- Ontario’s Mineral Development Strategy is a comprehensive 10-year plan to make Ontario the global leader in sustainable mineral development and production by building on the industry’s well-earned global reputation and significant competitive advantages.
About the Mining Innovation Summit 2016, visit www.mininginnovationsummit.ca